I've been raving for so long about the Roasted Veggie Lasagna Recipe from that mouth-watering website, For the Love of Cooking, so Jane recently made this dish for her mom Mame's birthday and it was a huge hit even with the meat eaters in the family. Here is her own modified version with gluten-free noodles and her homemade marinara sauce. It looks divine and I really wish she lived closer!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil (for quick and easy clean up) then coat the tin foil lined baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Clean and slice the veggies and layer all but the zucchini and yellow squash on the sheet. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top, season with sea salt, cracked pepper, basil and oregano to taste. Toss to coat and place in the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add the zucchini and yellow squash to the roasted veggies, toss and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside. Once the garlic cloves cool down, carefully peel the skin off and slice. Add sliced garlic back in with the rest of the veggies.
- 1 16 oz container of fat free ricotta cheese
- 3-4 tbsp mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3-4 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Dried oregano, to taste
- Dried basil, to taste
- Dash of nutmeg
- Lasagna noodles - Tikyanda brown rice noodles hold up really well, not mushy at all
- Marinara sauce (Jane's homemade recipe below) This recipe requires a lot of sauce, especially if laying with 3 layers of noodles (6-7 cups)
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Dried basil
- 2- (28 ounce) can of 6 in 1 ground tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups oven roasted tomatoes, well chopped
- for more texture: 2 medium red pepper diced
- 12-14 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ TBS Basil dried _ Note : Pinch dried seasoning when putting into sauce
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning or more to your taste
- optional 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 1 TBSP or less to your taste crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- After simmering several hours and tasting: Cinammon 1/2/ tsp w/ brown sugar and basil just before serving
- In a large saucepan combine ground tomatoes, oven roasted tomatoes, minced garlic, basil, Italian seasoning oregano, and ground black pepper. Add capers and crushed red pepper if desired. Cover. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, with cover, for 3 hours
- Just before serving add more basil, brown sugar and cinammon.
- As simmering time nears, in a large pot with boiling salted water cook spaghetti until al dente.
- Toss spaghetti with cooked sauce. Serve warm.